Cut & Stack
Cut and stack imposition arranges the PDF pages an a base sheet so that printed sheets will form a pile that can be cut in piles that are stacked in order on top of each other to make the final book.
This command applies to multipage PDFs. You can perform it in the menu File → Imposition (Cut & Stack)… or in the toolbar with the icon .
The cut & stack imposition (as well as the booklet imposition) applies to multipage PDFs only.
Before to call the cut & stack dialog, it is better to set the right page format you are going to print. Also set up trim signs, bleeds etc. to your pdf visible page (the first, usually) in order to apply these throughout all the pages.
Once done, select the PDF then choose the menu File → Imposition (Cut & Stack)… or click the toolbar with the icon . The following dialog will appear:
Tip: clicking on the icon with the option [⌥] key pressed, the dialog is bypassed and last used parameters will be applied.
The Cut & Stack dialog
- Columns, rows: pages are disposed in columns and rows.
- Orientation: portrait or landscape.
- Gap: the space between pages bounds. The page's bound includes the styles applied to the page, such as trim marks (and others).
- Duplex printing: pages are arranged in way to print the produced sheets alternatively in front and back, where the odd sheets goes in the front side and the even sheets in the back.
Turn front / back: in case of duplex printing, you can choose how to turn the sheet to get the correct front / back coupling (it depends on the chosen printer device, if it manages duplex automatically or you have to manually turn the printed stack).
Two options are available: Work and Turn or Work and Tumble.
- Double pose: doubles each page (2up). This option is available only for an even value of the product columns x rows.
Summary and other options
Here in the summary section of the dialog you can read some calculated value based on the parameters above applied to the selected PDF.
- PDF pages: here you can see the total pages of the selected PDF. Also you can set a partial imposition typing the start and end (included) page numbers.
- Pages per Sheet: the product of columns x rows.
- Needed Sheets: the calculated number of sheets necessary to impose the selected range of pages.
- Min. Sheet Needed: here it is calculated the exact page size needed to contain the imposition (determined by the chosen parameters and the PDF page size).
- Current Format: the available sheet format.
- Light indicator: the light indicator will be green ● or red ● upon the current format can or not contain the minimum sheet needed. Reset format to button and width / height fields: to change the current format to a new size, you can type the new values here, then click on the push button to apply the changes.
- Exchange button: this button just exchange width with height and viceversa.